Kylie Jenner’s lips have been the talk of the town. Whether you love her or hate her, it would be nearly impossible to avoid her headline inspiring pout. Her plump lips always look oh so plush and glamorous. Not to mention, they’re always painted a beautiful shade that just makes them look even more flawless. Users on Pinterest and beauty boards have spent countless months trying to recreate her lips. But then, King Kylie answered everyone’s prayers and released her own line of lip products, Kylie Lip Kits.
However, these little babies aren’t easy to get. If you’re aquatinted with buying EDC or Coachella tickets, the process is much like that. There’s an announced release time where hundreds of thousands of users flock to the store. When trying to shovel items in your cart, the site will crash relentlessly and only a few customers will be lucky enough to crawl out into the check out and receive an order confirmation.
Luckily, I got my paws on two colors! And I’m more than happy to share swatches and let you guys know what I think. I got Posie K, Kylie’s Valentine’s release which is a dark mauve pink and 22, a fierce orange red.
- Each lip kit comes with a lip liner and matte liquid lipstick. For $29, this is a great deal. Brands at Sephora usually sell each item for about $20, making the lip kit a steal.
- Long lasting. I’m not even kidding, these things are like Hans Solo frozen in carbonite strong except your lips are Hans Solo.
- Bold color. These colors stand out! However, I would do my research first to make sure you really know which color you want to get. Tapping on tagged photos of KylieCosmetics on Instagram does not fail.
- Nearly impossible to get. They sell out in ten minutes. The site is infuriating. If you have two things in your cart and one sells out, it pushes you back to start instead of just purchasing the one still in stock. By the time you get back to check out, the one you had is probably gone now too. This system needs a serious upgrade.
- Can be drying and crack. I think the kits are fabulous, but be careful to not layer them. Too many layers can cause the color is crack easily.
- There is a con to long lasting, which is you will need makeup remover to get this color off. Just H2O does not do the trick!
- Line your lips with the pencil.
- After you’ve lined with the pencil, carefully trace your outer lips with the liquid lipstick and proceed to fill in of the rest of your inner lips.
- Do not apply too many layers!
A very lovely dusty mauve pink. It came out a lot darker (more purple) than I expected but is very pretty and bold.
As one of Kylie’s most sought after shades, there are a lot of inaccurate dupe articles online. Be careful not to listen to any of the ones written BEFORE the color was released for Valentine’s Day. Speculation dupes based on the look of the tube suggest really bright pinks that don’t look like Posie K at all. Believe me, I tried. I bought a $6 NYX dupe suggestion that was basically a fuschia that looked nothing like this.
A daring bright red orange. This color is cute, but definitely a sometimes shade for me.
When you first apply it, it looks REALLY orange. After you give it a few minutes to dry, it looks more red!
My verdict: These lip kits are the real deal! Good price, great colors, the lip liner and lipstick combination really makes things easier. They’re just really really damn hard to get and shipping is a little ridiculous.